Everything was drawn by hand in on the iPad in ProCreate, using an Adonit Touch or a Hex3 Jaja stylus. Then I brought it into Photoshop and did all of the text labels. It's probably rather obvious that the labeling style is inspired by National Geographic magazine--I've always been addicted to and fascinated by their maps. They're the gold standard for me.
Vermillio Theater in Thasia
Drawn freehand after looking at a few pictures of medieval theaters. I was going for a more free and "brushy" look, which meant suppressing my tendency to zero in on little details and lose myself in the tweaking of them. I sketched out a few different perspectives before settling on this one. Done in four to five hours at the coffee shop down the street.
Champhur's Masonry Tools
I'd watched a documentary on medieval stonemasonry techniques, and glanced at a few pictures of tools. Then I drew this freehand. There were many little adjustments of perspective and angle. The shading techniques I use are working well here, I think. Also my first time doing wood grain.
Burlap Turnip Sacks
I glanced at a few pictures of turnips and burlap vegetable bags. I drew most of it freehand, but remember going back to glance at the pictures a couple of times. I was experimenting with some textured shading, instead of cross-hatching. If I had it to do all over again, I might have spent twice as much time on the burlap fabric lines, in order to make them even sharper and more realistic. But that would have been obsessive.
Cold Magical Sink Stone in a Bowl of Vapor
I glanced at a few pictures of bowls and old glasses, but this is mostly just from my head. I'm not too happy with how the "liquor" looks in the glass. I'd also like to have a better way of suggesting the white vapor. I do like the refraction of the bowl's corner in the glass, and the way the cube vanishes.
Cracked Ceramic Armor Bracer
I looked at a few pictures of bracers, then drew this. Had to experiment a lot with the shading technique. When it came to drawing in the rune in the hollowed-out area, I just had to come up with something quick...not yet having designed the sigil for that magic. I was pretty proud of this after drawing it, which is a nice feeling to have.
Carved Wooden Rooster
I glanced at a few pictures of little wooden roosters, but then just freehanded this image based on what I thought the character would have made. I figured it would be hard to make feet, so he might glue on some twigs later. It's interesting to make something in a shape, and then have to texturize it so that it seems made out of a different substance... At this point I hadn't done the wood grain in the masonry tools, and that sort of detail might have made this look even better.
I found some mushroom pictures and then drew this freehand. It's one of the more simple things I've drawn--just a few basic shapes. The shading was fun, and this was one of the first drawings where I developed the technique. You can tell that I was still learning how to shade, because my shading lines actually follow the contours of the mushroom stalks. I now realize that this is probably not right. *grin*
This is a very basic image of Vallan's tent, where Copper goes to talk. Even so, it was one of my first drawings in a long while, and had to be redone many times until I was satisfied with it. If I had it to do over today, I'd make it look much better.
XPian Line Art
This is a tracing, obviously taken from a photograph of me. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to be able to freehand something like this yet. However, there is no photoshop at work here, no filtering of any kind. Every line and dot were traced there by me, by hand. Having done a lot of photoshop filtering in my time, I've found that there's really no way to capture the right details, in the right way, other than by using one's own artistic judgment and touch.
Furg Madunnock Espying Shy Coomby
Might be hard to understand that title without reading chapter thirteen of the novel. Done with Adonit Jot Touch on iPad using ProCreate. I started with a bit of tracing (the hand, the ears, some of the eyes), from a photo I took. Then I sent the trace image away and went to work shading and stylizing. Had to learn how to do the hair, which eventually came out acceptable (after much failure).